NVIDIA Geforce 675M GTX problem

Hi All,

My question is 2-fold.

My video card is a NVIDIA Geforce 675M GTX. So yes I am gaming on a laptop due to necessity

1. In Windows 7 after 3 years of usage my laptop suddenly started to give bluescreens when playing 1 specific game. I tried everything from removing display drivers, removing them with a special tool, to formatting my pc (cause i thought it could be driver issues). But the error remained the same. In another game i noticed short freezes during playtime but only got a bluescreen once. It seemed to freeze for a very small second but be able to recover. When researching the bluescreen code it pointed me in the direction of the CPU not getting a timely response from the GPU and therefore blue screening to avoid further damage.

I then tried to lengthen this interval in the registry but this only caused my pc to freeze for a few seconds longer before throwing the bluescreen.

Now i have windows 10 and the error has changed slightly. Whenever playing a game after some time (not always the same, it can vary) the game will crash. And seemingly the pc seems to be fine. But after 30 seconds the pc begins to beep. Long, loud continous beeps (like 24 of them) and then it will just shut itself down. I also notice my GPU starts fanning very heavily when this happens , but when i check the temperature it is around 80°C. Which is not abnormally high I think.

When i run the game as administrator I still get the same bluescreen as before.

I have opened up my laptop and reseated the GPU, also tried to take out all the extra RAM (i have 16GB on the motherboard which i cannot reach). So i have reseated 2bars of 8GB ram each. Also cleaned out the laptop, (the heatsinks were pretty full) + re-applied paste, so now he is running +-20° colder as he used to... But none of this helped with the problem.
So I am thinking hardware error after all.

Running games with my onboard Intel video card works perfectly. So I think it is the GPU which is faulty.

What do you guys think?

Second question:
2. I have gone to a few stores in the neighborhood and none of them can order of have this specific card. I am afraid if i order something that looks like it, that is will not fit. The space where the card should be is fit to the shape of the card. Will other models also fit this? Or do i need to look for this exact model online, and how can i verify that it will fit?

David van Dantzig

Hoofdredacteur Hardware Info
User systemen
Hi All,

My question is 2-fold.

My video card is a NVIDIA Geforce 675M GTX. So yes I am gaming on a laptop due to necessity

1. In Windows 7 after 3 years of usage my laptop suddenly started to give bluescreens when playing 1 specific game. I tried everything from removing display drivers, removing them with a special tool, to formatting my pc (cause i thought it could be driver issues). But the error remained the same. In another game i noticed short freezes during playtime but only got a bluescreen once. It seemed to freeze for a very small second but be able to recover. When researching the bluescreen code it pointed me in the direction of the CPU not getting a timely response from the GPU and therefore blue screening to avoid further damage.

I then tried to lengthen this interval in the registry but this only caused my pc to freeze for a few seconds longer before throwing the bluescreen.

Now i have windows 10 and the error has changed slightly. Whenever playing a game after some time (not always the same, it can vary) the game will crash. And seemingly the pc seems to be fine. But after 30 seconds the pc begins to beep. Long, loud continous beeps (like 24 of them) and then it will just shut itself down. I also notice my GPU starts fanning very heavily when this happens , but when i check the temperature it is around 80°C. Which is not abnormally high I think.

When i run the game as administrator I still get the same bluescreen as before.

I have opened up my laptop and reseated the GPU, also tried to take out all the extra RAM (i have 16GB on the motherboard which i cannot reach). So i have reseated 2bars of 8GB ram each. Also cleaned out the laptop, (the heatsinks were pretty full) + re-applied paste, so now he is running +-20° colder as he used to... But none of this helped with the problem.
So I am thinking hardware error after all.

Running games with my onboard Intel video card works perfectly. So I think it is the GPU which is faulty.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like a hardware error indeed, either the GPU or the onboard RAM. Another possible option is the power supply. None of these are easily fixed, unfortunately.
However, do you get these errors just with one game (and which games is that) or does it also occur with other games?
Initially I thought it sounded like an overheating issue - not unlikely in a three-year old laptop - but you say you've cleaned it and the problem continues.

From your description this must have been quite an expensive machine, any chance you had an extended warranty? The manufacturer would be my first suggestion to contact, to be honest.

Second question:
2. I have gone to a few stores in the neighborhood and none of them can order of have this specific card. I am afraid if i order something that looks like it, that is will not fit. The space where the card should be is fit to the shape of the card. Will other models also fit this? Or do i need to look for this exact model online, and how can i verify that it will fit?
With MXM modules, you basically need one that has been designed specifically for your laptop, a generic model is usually not a good idea. Even if it fits physically, chances are it's not been tuned to match the thermal specs of your model. Again, the best option is the manufacturer. If that doesn't work, see if you can obtain a similar, but otherwise non-working model for spare parts.

Bovenaan